written by: Ahmad Zahra

<- home

All that remains today of the original village of Al-Haram is the mosque and the shrine, the ruined foundations of some of the village houses, a destroyed cemetery where some of the graves scattered here and there stand out and is currently used as a parking lot for Israelis and foreign tourists. The cemetery is in desperate need of attention.

The original site of Apollonia–Arsuf was excavated in the 1990s and opened for visitors as Apollonia National Park in 2002. Excavations were ongoing as of 2015. The excavation report is prepared in three volumes, of which the first was published in 1999. The second and third volume, covering the excavation seasons until 2015, were in preparation as of 2016. The above-ground structures standing before the excavations began include the medieval city wall and moat, enclosing an area of about 90 dunam, a Crusader castle with a double-wall system with an area of about 4 dunam, a port with built jetties and a sheltered anchorage, protected by a sandstone reef. Large amounts of pottery were recovered in the area surrounding the city, mostly of the Byzantine and early Islamic period, indicating that the city extended significantly beyond its old walls in the 7th century. A large Roman-era villa maritima was uncovered to the south of the site.

The partially renovated shrine was restored by the Sedna Ali Society from 1988-1996. Near the shrine, the ruined foundations of village houses are visible; further away, several houses stand which are presently inhabited by Zionists. The Zionists, with protection and support of the British, incorporated the village into the Herzliya municipality in 1924 and the area south of the village site was built up as the Shikun Olim (שיכון עולים "immigrant housing") district of Herzliya in the 1950s. Rishpon , established in 1936, sits on the northern border of the original village site. Kefar Shemaryahu , established in 1937, sits southeast of the original village site. Arsuf, an upper-class exclusive clifftop community was built in 1995 on approximately 250 dunums of the northern land of the village on a high cliff of 35 meters above the sea, in Hof Hasharon Regional Council. It has become one of the most expensive and luxurious community in the Zionist state. Most of the Zionist settlers of the community have “independent” professions.